Early Bayside Bayside was once an area comprised of a few large homes, summer cottages and farms. In 1911, the original Donges and Usinger estates were marked by the stone lion gates which currently stand at the corner of Lake Drive and Fairy Chasm Road. In 2007, the lion gates were recognized for historical designation.
Prior to modern settlement, the Bayside area was used by Native Americans for hunting and fishing. The Sauk Indian Trail (now Port Washington Road) was the closest major trail. Chief Waubeka and the last of the Potowotamic Indians left the area in 1845.
Additional Historical Resources
The Whitefish Bay Public Library houses an extension collection of historical materials called the Mimi Bird Historical Collection relating to the early history of the North Shore area.
You can also view the history of Bayside as provided by former resident Ted Langer.
In 1953, a small group of residents living in part of the former Town of Milwaukee met to discuss independent incorporation or annexation by the city of Milwaukee. The step into the future was made when 467 persons incorporated the Village of Bayside on February 13, 1953. Growth continued and in 1955 the Fish Creek area in Ozaukee County was annexed.
Incorporation of Bayside
Bayside TodayToday Bayside comprises approximately 2.39 square miles. About 81% of the total acreage is zoned for residential use, 15% is natural conservancy, and 4% comprises commercial, recreational, and transportation use. There is no industrial property in Bayside. In 2005, there were 4,329 people living in approximately 1,611 homes.
Village Offices The first village office was located in the original wing of Bayside School. In 1955, the first municipal building, usually called the Village Hall, was constructed. It was torn down in 1998 and a new Village Hall and Public Safety department was built in 1999. In 2012, the building was expanded to make room for Consolidated Dispatching services. The new addition is home to dispatching services for all seven of the North Shore Communities, as well as the North Shore Fire Department.
The Village Hall and Public Safety department is located just north of the railroad crossing:
9075 Regent Road
Bayside, WI 53217
A popular Bayside attraction is the Schlitz Audubon Nature Center, which has a history dating back to the turn of the century. The center formerly was known as the Nine Mile Farm. The farm land was accumulated by the Uihlein family in a series of purchases beginning in 1885. In the beginning, the location was a working farm supplying food for the family, hay and grain for hundreds of brewery horses used to deliver beer by wagon, and a pasture and hospital for the horses in later life.
After the 1930s when horses were replaced with trucks, the area remained undeveloped and was given to the Schlitz Foundation. In 1971, the foundation donated the 200 plus acres to the National Audubon Center for a nature center. Today the center offers many programs for the public.