| Did you Know?
Find out more about your community.
- Incorporated as a Village on February 13, 1953.
- Village Manager/Village Board form of government.
- Board of Trustees is made up of six members, along with a Village President. Village President and Board of Trustees are elected on a non-partisan basis with staggered 3 year terms.
- A fully developed community with:
- 81% of total acreage zoned for residential use
- 15% zoned for natural conservancy
- 4% for business use
- No industrial property
- Home to the Schlitz Audubon Nature Center (SANC).
| LOCATION AND CLIMATE
- Located along the western shores of Lake Michigan bordering the Village of Fox Point to the south, Village of River Hills to the west, and City of Mequon to the north.
- The majority of Bayside is located in Milwaukee County; however, a small portion of the northeast corner of the Village is located in Ozaukee County.
- Approximately 2.39 square miles.
- Residents enjoy a four season climate, and receive an average of 34.82 inches of precipitation (rain and snow) per year.
- On average, July is the warmest month with a mean temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit
- On average January is the coldest month with a mean temperature of 23 degrees Fahrenheit.
| GENERAL POPULATION
- A population of 4,389 residents (2010 Census).
- The total population has decreased by 2.86% or by 129 people since 2000 (2000 and 2010 Censuses).
- There are a total of 1,831 households and families in Bayside (2010 Census).
- The average household size is 2.38 persons (2010 Census).
- The median age of a resident is 48 years old (2010 Census).
- 81.50% of residents live in owner occupied housing (2010 Census).
- The median value of a home is $338,769.
- The median household income is $81,164, while the mean household income is $117,189 (American Community Survey, 2005-2009).
- The per capita income is $46,512 (American Community Survey, 2005-2009).
| EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
- Fox Point – Bayside and Maple Dale - Indian Hill School Districts provide comprehensive Kindergarten through eighth grade education students.
- The Fox Point – Bayside Middle School is located in the Village.
- Nicolet High School serves as the primary high school for the Village.
- Several universities, colleges, and technical schools provide access to undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, law, medical, and vocational degrees:
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Marquette University
- Milwaukee Area Technical College
- Concordia University
- Cardinal Stritch University
- Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE)
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Mount Mary College
- Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
- 59% of residents are actively employed and only 4.7% are unemployed. The remaining 36.3% of residents are not in the labor force (American Community Survey, 2005-2009).
- The County/State Sales Tax Rate is a total of 5.6%. The Village does not have a Sales Tax.
- For the 2010 Property Tax Bill, 26% of the property tax amount went to general Village services. The remainder went to other taxing entities.
- The largest employer is the Mark Travel Corporation which employees 602 people.
- The majority of commercial development is located along either Brown Deer Road/State Highway 32 or North Port Washington Road.
| PARKS, RECREATION, AND NATURAL AREAS
- The Village owns and maintains the 7.1acre Ellsworth Park, located across from Bayside-Fox Point Middle School. The park features a baseball diamond, tennis & volleyball courts, soccer fields, ADA accessible playground equipment, and newly renovated pavilion with restrooms. Residents are able to rent the Pavilion for events and parties.
- The Village owns and maintains 3,297 street trees in the right-of-way, valued at over $3,125,621.
- The Village owns and maintains 346 trees in Ellsworth Park and other publically owned properties, like Village Hall, which are valued over $212,828.
- A portion of Doctors Park, a Milwaukee County Park, is located in the Village along Lake Michigan in the southeast corner of the Village.
- The Village is home to the 185 acre Schlitz Audubon Nature Center (SANC), located along Lake Michigan. The SANC has over six (6) miles of hiking trails and a 60 foot tall observation tower. Residents can also rent out their banquet facilities for weddings, parties, etc.
- Senior residents are served by the Fox Point-Bayside LX Club, which provides activities six (6) days a week to all seniors in the North Shore Community.
| COMMUNITY AND UTILITY SERVICES
- Provides curbside garbage collection services on a weekly basis to all Village residents, along with biweekly recycling collection services. Up-the-drive service is also available to residents.
- Provides yard waste collection services from spring until the end of fall and provides loose leaf collection services in the fall.
- Maintains 135,000 feet of sanitary sewer lines that collect water from sinks, showers, toilets, etc., as well as 602 manholes. The water is eventually carried to and treated by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District.
- Manages stormwater through a ditch and culvert system. Bayside’s stormwater system is completely separate from its sanitary sewer system, and directs all excess water towards outlets that eventually drain into Lake Michigan, with twelve (12) major outfalls.
- Owns and maintains 46.3 miles of street mile lanes.
- There are four private water trusts: Vista Del Mar, Northway #1, Northway #2 and Santa Monica Blvd. The majority of the homes in Bayside have private wells.
- 29% of homes served by City of Mequon municipal water.
- 71% served by private well or private water trusts.
| PUBLIC SAFETY
- Residents are provided police protection by the Village Police Department, while their fire protection services are provided by the North Shore Fire Department.
- Home of the newly consolidated dispatch center that will service the North Shore Communities of Whitefish Bay, Glendale, Shorewood, Brown Deer, River Hills, Fox Point, and the North Shore Fire Department.
- North Shore Fire Department has 99 full-time Firefighters on staff.
- North Shore Fire Department Station No. 5 is located in Bayside.
- Bayside Police Department has 13 full-time sworn police officers who provide 24 hour protection and service.
- Police Department personnel are Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certified.